Saturday, May 2, 2009

In Memory of...

DAISY

Purchased as a gift for my niece's 5th birthday. At the time, I did not know anyone who owned a Dalmation. Thought they were mainly for firemen and beer commercials, but... for a 5 year old who lived and breathed Disney, I saw the perfect opportunity.

Solid black ears, more spots than I had ever seen, and smaller in size than her siblings... I knew she was very special. Placed into a large, pre-wrapped box only moments before opening, she remained quite as a mouse not wanting to spoil the surprise. And that she didn't... my niece's expression was priceless! Of course, Daisy instantly wet on my niece's clothes upon being picked up. Probably due to the instant excitement and gratification of being squeezed and petted. It was hardly even noticed and surely of no one's concern.

All of the kids immediately asked, "What's her name?" to which my niece answered without any hesitation, "Daisy!"

[Technically, Daisy was a duck according to Disney, but it was the naming choice of my niece, so it stuck.]

I knew upon making the purchase I would be the one to house, feed and care for her. We had the yard space and fencing necessary where my sister's house did not. Again... fine for everyone. Daisy blessed us all with her love and devotion... she entertained us for 13 years!

1 comment: